Monday, April 4, 2011

Rolls.

I have an small issue with rolls of film....the issue is that they tend to pile up. And because I work a full time job, I never seem to have the time to run them off to get processed. In my refrigerator I have about 2 bags of exposed but unprocessed black and white film from 2004, around 30 rolls of 35mm, 15 or so rolls of 120 film. 2004!!

Currently I carry around a small film bag with about 8 rolls of unprocessed film. (when I say current, I mean film shot with in the past year or so) It should be a bigger problem for me, but honestly I enjoy a small break from the time I shoot a roll until the time I process and scan it. It's a slow process, but considering I have no deadlines, it works for me. It might annoy my friends or the people I promised photos to, but I think once they do see the images it's even better. Time passes, memories form, and hopefully these images become part of those memories and recollections.

Recently I was asked to speak to a group of seniors at my alma mater, The University of the Arts. It was a little daunting....actually extremely daunting. I am not a good public speaker, or speaker in general, if you know me, you know I am extremely quiet and introverted. So it was super hard to talk to these kids about my experiences after graduating, and what lies ahead for them in the future. I think I did okay though, they were an awesome group of kids and the other alumni I spoke with, were great also.  The point of the story is, that in preparation for this talk, I spent a few hours looking at a lot of old work that I haven't looked at in quite some time. When this work was shot, I spent a lot of time scanning it, viewing it, trying to figure out how to put them together, how to create a body of work with all these images. It was a constant struggle for me. And I think I just needed time, time to work on other things, and separate myself for a bit from those photographs. Now that I have been looking at them again, they are starting to fit together and make more sense to me....



film wrapper, holiday inn, wilkes barre, 2008

ps. check out the senior photo student's blog here.

2 comments:

H Rae said...

I have the same problem with carting around undeveloped film, but it is such a delight once you finally get around to having them processed. You spoke at the school?! I wish I could have seen that, I'm sure you were wonderful. PS. They have a blog now? Weird!

Unknown said...

i was so nervous i was shaking! it was really scary and i repeated myself a lot. but i got through it ok and they were really awesome about it.